Monday, July 30, 2012

Hi MOM! We're in Kenya!





Team two began and finished our first day of work with a bang! We were up with the sun, not that the children would stay quiet enough to let us sleep in anyways but we were very anxious to get started. Let me also add that team one set a great precedent for us and there just may be a little competition going on, but I will save that story for someone else.

We were blessed with a beautiful day with no rain in which I was able to learn to lay bricks and mortar. Working side by side with native Kenyans helps to keep your ambitions high. They are passionate, knowledgeable and so patient while teaching us. Jonathan and Alfred treated me as an equal on the work site, never looking down to me as a being a girl attempting to learn masonry. I never thought my greatest lessons learned would on the very first days of my stay.

There is so much more to do and I have NO doubt sooo much more to learn. I cannot wait to continue our journey in Kitale not only physically with our construction but spiritually and mentally as well.  Our team works together with ease, respecting each other as a team and as individuals. The true tests I'm sure are yet to come as this is only day one but I say bring it on! We will embrace each day as we did this one and continue  on our mission rain or shine. But yes, continue on the mission SAFELY mom. As we are all safe, together and HAPPY. That is all that really matters in the end :)

Zara

6 comments:

  1. Great to see team two on site and working away. The pictures surely record team one's success (they have just arrived home late this morning). What a great bar they have set. Ambition being the biggest factor and it sounds like that is in place for your team. BUILD ON TEAM TWO!!! jim weick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zara, its jessie. Luv the update so proud of your team! Keep the posts coming so we at home in america can see the amazingness of these efforts! Send my love to all you encounter, spread lots of blessings. You make me so proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I was there soooo bad!! I know this experience will be amazing and the fact that we are looking at the same moon makes me feel a part of it! WELCOME HOME TEAM ONE.......GOOOO TEAM TWO! Love, SUE!! Xox
    Great writing ZAZA!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I was there too! Looks awesome, so glad for you guys. Keep up the great work and the great spirit and before you know it there will be more of a building up in front of you and you will look at each other saying, "did we do this?" and reply, "yes and No." And glad to see Jason outside out there, hope he is well. Love on him and Austin, Adam, and Bonnie (and everyone else, but really, someone needs to give Bon Bon a big hug for me) for us!
    julia (team 1)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Z,
    I am so proud of you. Your doing a great thing. Miss you - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zara I am SO proud of you! I love and miss you so very much. Your an amazing person Zara, those children are very blessed to have your love, support, and compassion. I hope you find all you are searching for and then some you deserve it more than anyone I know! Your in all of my thoughts and prayers! Love you!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete