Thursday, July 26, 2012

Despite the lack of elephants...

Only two days left!! As we are approaching the end of our journey here at the orphanage, it has become bittersweet. We are all tired, worn out and missing home, myself included. However, I am counting down the days I have left with these kids and I don't know how I am going to live without them. At the work site I do not have an official job and consider myself a floated. I give my assistance where it is needed and in between I sneak off and play with the kids. Yesterday I did a type of aerobics that the aunties instructed and then sang and danced and played a Kenyan version of duck duck goose. Today I sat on the log and was flooded with little one playing with my hair and sitting on my laps and telling me stories I don't exactly understand. Two days ago, a newbie arrived, Bravin. He has won my heart. He tries to hide his smile but his two front chicklets stick out between his chubby cheeks when I smile at him. I tickled him so much for the first night and ignored him yelling at me to "stop it" and "go away" in swahili until he peed on me. Oops.

It is now Thursday night. I had to stop blogging yesterday because one of the kitchen girls, Helen, did my hair. After two and a half hours I have a hundred tight braids throughout my entire head. I love it! I had kids on my lap and pulling on my arms while it was getting done. I can't get enough of them and it goes both ways. They love being tickled and laugh and laugh and it keeps a huge smile on all our faces. Now, there is only one day left and I am going to miss them all very much. I'm taking lots of pictures to hang on my walls at school that way I always remember the little ones who have brought so much joy to my life.

Overall, I am very pleased with my Africa experience. I am so thankful God has granted me this opportunity. And although I will not be seeing any elephants (the thing I was most excited for and which attracted me to Africa in the first place) I would not have traded these last two weeks for the world.

Hope all is well at home.

-Kimberly Butler

1 comment: