Friday, June 3, 2011

Safe Arrival


The trip started off going backwards, by that I mean I had to fly east from Rochester to Chicago to go west. Its fitting to start the trip off in this fashion because that sort of thing is common place in Kenya, it makes perfect sense how can you go forward if you haven't gone backwards first? There was a lot of “unstable air” as the captain called it from Chicago to London. Later I learned that tornadoes had gone through parts of the north east of the US, with most damage in Massachusetts. I'm not sure if the times coincided, was it the “unstable air” that turned into tornadoes? The only other thing I find notable to mention is on the flight from London to Nairobi the flight path usually flies over Libya which I only know because the captain mentioned it and said
“For obvious reasons we would be flying by way of Egypt instead, which will add a few minuets to the flight. I could go on a rant at this point about what is happening in Libya, but I will refrain from it; I'm not sure that this is the proper form, but then what is? I will just say that peace will never be achieved through military means or other acts of violence. Bombing a country is not a humanitarian action, there have been more deaths from “collateral damage” then there were that led up to the UN sanctions of creating a “no fly zone.” The mission was then expanded through a loophole in the sanction, this expansion comes at the cost of the US taxpayer who contribute to over 70% of the UN's funds, but the biggest price is paid by the Libyan people who have lost their lives or family members, and now have much of their cities in ruins.

Sorry... I said I wouldn't rant so thats as far as I will take that tangent. Although there are of other things that can be said. Unfortunately I know most people are not interested in what is happening in the world or if they are they are just too busy to do the research necessary to be properly informed.

Anyway after a full 24 hours of air travel and flight changes and going through multiple time zones, I'm now seven hours ahead of where I started and have made it to Kenya. At the airport it was nice to see some familiar faces of some people that I met last year that were picking up a new team of volunteers. I spent ten hours in Nairobi, just long enough to check in to the hotel clean up and get a full nights sleep. In the morning it was off the catch the shuttle for the days trip to Kitale. To my surprise there has been a lot of road work that has been completed since my last stay here. From Eldoret to Soy the road had been completely resurfaced which took a considerable amount of time off of the trip. Arrived in Kitale some time around 4 pm about seven hours after leaving Nairobi. Upon getting off the matatu (shuttle) I was rushed by locals looking to take me wherever they wanted to go, or carry my bags. I had almost forgot what it was like to be in the swarm where no one really understands english and has their own agenda and don't want to take no for an answer or perhaps don't even understand its meaning.
After breaking away from the crowed I was able to make it across the street to get a taxi to take me to where I would be staying at the TI (Transformed International) compound. There I was greeted by Derek who then got Eric to show me to the room I would be staying in. Dropped off my bag and caught up for a little bit, then got messages back home to let everyone know of my safe arrival three days after leaving.

5 comments:

  1. Adam, I love what u are doing, such a good person! Karen green

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post and glad you got there safely. Thanks for keeping us informed.
    Love ya Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam, glad you made it there safely and hope you get off to a great start on your mission.
    Peace
    Bob Klie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adam,I was so grateful & relieved when your Dad called me to say you had arrived safe-&-sound!!! I prayed for your travel safety & will continue for just marvelous success in your on-going work for the Kingdom.
    Blessings & love,
    Carol Tiemann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Adam, I was so sorry I was out of town the Sunday you were commissioned for your trip and never got to wish you well. I will be following along,though, on your blog.

    Your grandfather would be so proud of you!! You know he is watching and directing your plans. :)
    big hugs, Beverly Reeve

    ReplyDelete